Thursday, January 21, 2010

Best Class Ever

First post!
And that is the first and last time I will do that on the internet, let me tell you (unless I forget about this in a few hours, which, y'know...)

So, yes, this is me:



And I draw stuff. Right now, my favourite post-worthy bit of art is this little guy:



The assignment was to create a mascot for a new brand of cereal. After my group struggled with a theme and a title, we started playing with cereal types, landed on 'O's, and then got Phar-O's, which was neat, and we almost went with that because Ancient Egypt is cool, until I stopped and said "Dinos? Din-O's? Hey, kids still like Dinosaurs, right?"

So, we hit upon the perfect theme. Din-O's is sort of narrow, in that it limits our mascots to dinosaurs, but varied because there are tons of different species to choose from.

I wanted to do something popular and recognizable, but not the T.Rex. Much as I love that guy, he's a little overdone. Also, since this was intended for young children, I, er, wanted something that was cool but not like, carnivorous-scary. So I went with a stegosaurus - he's a herbivore, so he's nice, but he's still cool because he has spikes on his tail and he fights things with it.

I started picturing what kind of wacky ads he could be involved in, and most of them involved exploring jungles in search of cereal and stuff. So, off the top of my head, I thought of what 'explorer' outfits usually constituted in my younger days, and avoided copying Indiana Jones somehow. I also clothed him so there would be more variation and interesting stuff in his design. Also why I gave him that helmet, specifically, since without it his head was bald and bare, and even if I did differ from how real Stegosaurs looked and gave him head-spikes, that would make him look a little too punkish, y'know? So I gave him a pith helmet. Tadah!

I had to angle him a little so you could see his tail as well, since without it he could have just as easily been a turtle or tortoise. I made him green because that's the first colour that comes to mind when I think 'reptile' and to a lesser degree, 'jungle'. Also I watched Land Before Time when I was little. A lot.


... I kind of think he's cute. I might draw more like him.

2 comments: