Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Nidd the Dragon

This one less obviously than others, but hey, look! It's a vector dragon!

NIDD Vector

This guy is called Nidd. As my Flickr description will say, he is for a children's story I am very casually writing notes for. He appears as a statue in it, but I wanted to draw his true form for fun and for reference.

I originally was going to try making him more 'Norse' looking, but as I researched that I found out that Age of Mythology totally lied to me, and the dragons up north are more like big serpents. So I gave him more of a snaky body, realized he was looking a little oriental in style, and then something occurred to me. There was this museum exhibit I went to while I was in Edmonton (that was mostly for children, admittedly), that talked about dragons and their origins in human legends and history, and mentioned how some were pretty much a mish-mash of animals.

So I thought I'd try my hand at that. I tried to give him a wolfish, horseish head shape, with long horse/goat ears, antlers, a snake's body, thick fur (either wolfish again, or something with a thicker coat), bird's legs, bat's wings, and a tail of my own design.

... What?

Anyway, for this world, I figured dragons were more of a description than an identifiable species. Y'know, magic creatures, right? And the kind of dragon Nidd is are shapeshifting types anyway, so your guess is as good as mine when it comes to putting science to them.


The background, as usual, was an afterthought, but I wanted a colour that would make the drawing pop out. Somehow red was chosen. For the real thing, though, I'm not sure. I didn't draw him with a background in mind (probably because I didn't initially plan to post this to the blog, eheh), but maybe I'll draw the carnival he works at in later... Hm...

Well, until then! See ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment