Friday, March 19, 2010

[Illustration Friday] Round 8: Subterranean

Iiiiiiit's that time again! Illustration Friday!

ahem

I can't remember when, but somewhere through my childhood, I picked up one of those books full of fun facts about various things. I think this one was called 'Bugs That Go Blam', as it was centered around bug trivia. There was a ton of weird stuff in there (that, looking back, might be inaccurate in parts), but one thing that I remember as kind of jarring was this one fact about the Cicada: Some types can spend up to 13 or 17 years underground, before they crawl out as adults. I think the part that struck me the most about that their long lifespan - there were bugs out there older than I was! - and the illustration depicting a teenaged Cicada larvae chilling in his underground home and watching TV. The fact made some joke along the lines of spending most of their life just eating and living underground. I think part of me was unnerved by how much of the insect's life was spent underground, while the other part of me kinda wanted to be that Cicada.

... Well! Now that I have the rambling story-set-up, let's get this trainwr- post rolling! :D


You ever have one of those days where you don't feel like getting out of bed?


Tadah!

I think I was originally going to do something with molepeople (Sam and Max or The Tick, pick your inspiration), but then I remembered the cicada and its crazy life cycle, and decided to go with that.

I seem to work better/more reliably with non-digital media, and this time 'round, I used these bright Staedtler markers I had lying around. I felt they suited the brightness of the cicada's wings and eyes. Though, now that I'm looking at it again, I think my scanner did something odd to the colours. Hm...

Initially, I was also trying to stick with colour combinations that are likely to happen in real life, but then I started having too much fun drawing the little cicadas having their waking up party. Also this was going to represent some deep-seated anxiety of mine or another but then I was too amused by the little pouty cicada faces to get into the right state of artistic depression. Lookit them! Heh heh heh.


And to make a long post longer, news!:
- Finished Storyboards to come soon, possibly a missed Illustration Friday.
- Will try to upload some non-school stuff, or at least non-portfolio-class-stuff. Will just have to pick the best of the lot.
- Also, you know it's bad when your own mother is telling you to stop being so self-depreciating and act more professional. *waves* Hi mom!

And that's all for now, folks! See you next random update!

No comments:

Post a Comment