Friday, April 23, 2010

Assignment: Promotional Postcard

Man I am SO happy with this concept, especially when it took me forever to get to it.

You see, dear readers, we were supposed to come up with a card to promote ourselves. A postcard.

My problem was that anything that featured my regular characters had some dialogue and that got cluttered, anything with me personally was a little self depreciating, and any combination of the two was a clunky disasters. There was also some things trying to advertise me as some kind of character-creating machine but I really wasn't happy with the look and feel of those too.

Defeated, I turned to my doodle page and started brainstorming again. Back to the drawing board, you might say. I then told myself that I'd try to come up with something using the next thing I sketched, with the theme of 'AWESOME', since I could advertise some percieved trait of myself or something.

I started drawing... A cowboy. Riding a unicorn. No! Riding a... A ROCKET UNICORN! ROBOCORN!

But what would be awesome enough for them to f- T.REX!

And thus, this drawing. From there, I just let go and got as reasonably ridiculous as I could, escalating my idea of 'awesome' within the drawing - make the T.Rex breathe fire, make the exhaust magic - at one point, one of my sketches of the T.Rex had a wonky right arm; I got frustrated and gave it a hook. Just about everyone I showed it too afterwards demanded that I keep it in, so I did. Pretty cool, huh?

Oh, wait! The art, that's right!


Dinosaur-wrangling got a lot harder when they taught themselves to breathe fire...


At some point, there was going to be a field of, like, Triceratops or Stegosaurs in the fields behind them, but, er, it was... looking cluttered, yeah. I'll try to make it work, though, but... perhaps not when I have a deadline.

Details! The lasso is coming out of a spool-like-thing on the Unicorn's saddle-part - which is actually its middle, since it's a robot, it's built right in. The T.Rex's lines are a little thicker... but its eye is shiny? Also check out those clouds!

So, yeah, I also have to say that I might have been partially inspired by the likes of Dr. McNinja and Axe Cop. And this game from Cartoon Network that I can't link to you right now, but I'll edit it in later. And here we are!

(PS, you should totally read those comics I linked, seriously they are awesome. One is about a ninja who is also a doctor, the other is drawn by a 29-year-old artist, and written by his 5-year-old brother. That is all you need to know.)

OH, in terms of advertising myself also, after using the front to generate confusion and curiosity (confuriosity?), the reader will check the back and see text along the lines of 'You, too, may have this much awesome in your employ!' or 'You, too, can have this much awesome at your commmand!' something like that to advertise myself and my crazy brain. Sounds good, right?

-dusts hands, looks at posts- Huh, nice, all that work and it's not even noon! Good work, me!

PPS, kids, this is what happens when you try uploading a CMYK file to the internets:
NOOOO MY COLOURS

Groovy.

No comments:

Post a Comment