Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Montage Assignment - City of the Lost

So we were given an assignment in another class to do a montage-image based on song lyrics, scripts, a book, or our own creative writing. Guess which subject I picked.



Alright, so I could probably write a novel about each of the little thumbnails here (and in one case I kind of already have!), but I will be short and quick about it:

Top left, Nero and Yuu, those demons from my other post. Below those three, is a layout for a zombie story I was/am writing. Beside the zombies is one for a small sci-fi-ish idea I had involving a guy on the run from police robots. I'll make a post about them later. And finally above that one are some ideas that eventually turned into the one I went with. (If you tilt your head to the left a bit, you'll see it at about the top center of the page)

So I fleshed out that one a little more.



So these are characters from a comic I want to do one day (after I get through Superfailure and more of Carol in the Woods). From left to right, we have Mechael the clockwork robot; Thane, the teen who can slowly kill things by touching them; Sarah, the scientist with some kind of parasitic/symbiotic vine-thing in her veins; Aaron the centaur, and Steve the human. Behind the first four there are little streams that contain bits from their backstory, while Steve doesn't get any.



Tadah, here's the final thing. It's a bit blurry because the board it was mounted on was a little too big for my scanner. Also I was scanning this at not-four-a.m., and therefore kind of... uh...

SO the basic premise is that five people from different worlds wake up in a weird, empty city one day and then try to figure out why they're there. In between epic, mind-screwy breakthroughs, they just hang out.

So yeah, I have colour schemes for these characters picked out, which you can see here. I don't want to go into too much detail because part of me is convinced that this will spoil the plot before it's even finished, but, eh... Well, Mechael's is about his 'sister' and the fact that he's a wind-up-robot, Thane's relates to some traveling party of magic-users he was a part of and a girl he likes, Sarah's is about her 'acquiring' the sybiote, and Aaron's about him being in university because he is basically a normal guy, just with half-a-horse as his legs. Steve doesn't get one partly because he, too, is a normal dude, but also because he's a city-kid, and to adapt to the situation he starts identifying himself with the city. Or something like that. His colour theme is red, make of that what you will. Also!

So yes, other elements in this story is someone who drops cryptic hints via graffiti, two creepy newscasters, the apartment they live in, and the creepy hospital. And monsters called Sweepers, you can see a warning about them on a billboard in the background. Also! I tried to make the city background transition into the backstory-backgrounds, and sort of line up with elements there. It... kind of worked.

Speaking of, I intended for the buildings to be blurry! Since the city is ~mysterious~ and all, you see.

For the sky to be streaky... not so much. To be honest, I had to do a lot of this in a short time, which is a shame. On that note, the ink is supposed to be smudged in Thane's bar there. I did that by accident, realized it went cool, and then went with it.

Like many things I draw, I will go back and make this pretty in photoshop, and unlike many things I draw, I really mean it with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment