Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Dinosaur Day - Stan the Stegosaurus

(These posts would come faster and easier if I wasn't such a research purist. To look more professional, I wanted to avoid wikipedia or any books with 'Extreme' or 'Awesome' in its title. Ah well.)

Stan the Stegosaurus



Stan is an adventurous little guy, which is why he has a pith helmet, and that shirt, and that canteen. He likes exploring the melting pot of time periods that is this cartoon dinosaur universe he lives in with his best friend, Terry the Triceratops.

His favourite type of food is garden salads.

Stegosaurus Armatus

When people usually talk about Stegosaurus, they probably mean this guy.

Stegosaurs were large herbivorous dinosaurs, and roamed around during the late Jurassic. They were about 9 metres long, and supposedly could reach three or some odd tons.

The most interesting feature that I and many grade schoolers doing reports on dinosaurs find are its plates and tails. Speculation on the plate’s uses have ranged from armour, communication, cooling system, or mating signal. Or other display signal. Maybe like those neck-fans and frills some lizards have.

They also have a large canal-type deal on their back - some think there was a second brain there to help with reaction time, while others suspect it is... a gland of some sort, I’m not sure and I don’t want to copy+paste off a website to sound like it.

That spiky tail at the end was probably used for defense, and yeah, I imagine it would hurt quite a bit to get smacked by it. Also, apparently some scientists actually refer to it as a Thagomizer! Score another point for Gary Larson! [/old news]

I will include development sketches for this Stan character at a later date. For now, enjoy his vector image and be amazed. Also thankful that I am not going into extreme detail about how I drew him for a cereal box. I did that enough over here.

Sources

(Will add when I am not halfway out the door. Hello, graduate event!)

I am either terribly rusty at this 'research' thing, or it is too hard to find information that does not look like it came off a site built in '99.

Yup! If all goes well, hopefully I will have another post like this next week. But better.

No comments:

Post a Comment